Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Superpositions as a time dimension

  1. #11
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    So todays thought on this issue was that a superposition is sort of a translation from the time dimension to the spacial dimensions.

    So one difference between time and space is that in space you can isolate mass in a volume of space but you can not isolate mass in a unit of time " here for one second ... gone forever ". Superpositions as a dimension may be able to answer this paradox. There may be one superposition where mass does or does not exist except for a moment in time. Virtual Particles are such. These virtual particles probably only exist in entangled superpositions.

    This isnt well thought out and just a random thought about this that I had today and wanted to add to this thread which I am sort of using as open notes for this idea.

  2. #12
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    So todays thought on this issue was that a superposition is sort of a translation from the time dimension to the spacial dimensions.

    So one difference between time and space is that in space you can isolate mass in a volume of space but you can not isolate mass in a unit of time " here for one second ... gone forever ".
    What do you mean by isolate in space? The influence of mass pervades space, we know. Kinda like it can't be destroyed or created either.
    Superpositions as a dimension may be able to answer this paradox. There may be one superposition where mass does or does not exist except for a moment in time. Virtual Particles are such. These virtual particles probably only exist in entangled superpositions.

    This isnt well thought out and just a random thought about this that I had today and wanted to add to this thread which I am sort of using as open notes for this idea.

  3. #13
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    What do you mean by isolate in space?
    I mean we can put a ball in a box and keep it there. Not that easy to do in the time dimension. The only instance i can think of is a virtual pair. Popping into existence for a moment then disappearing. In that case they are trapped in a slice of time.

  4. #14
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I mean we can put a ball in a box and keep it there. Not that easy to do in the time dimension.
    The ball is in the box in the time dimension too!

    How have you limited the ball by putting it in a box? They're both hurtling through space around the galaxy, through the universe. Their gravitational influence extends for as far as we know.

  5. #15
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    The ball is in the box in the time dimension too!
    Yes it is bounded in the box ( space ) and will travel unbounded through time, forever.

    You can not have mass bounded in a unit of time say 1s , yet unbounded through space, except for virtual particles.

  6. #16
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Yes it is bounded in the box ( space ) and will travel unbounded through time, forever.

    You can not have mass bounded in a unit of time say 1s , yet unbounded through space, except for virtual particles.
    My point was, putting it in the box does not bound it in space. Not only does it constantly move through space, its influence spreads throughout space. In order for any part of that influence to disappear, the entire mass had to disappear.

    Think outside the box

  7. #17
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    My point was, putting it in the box does not bound it in space. Not only does it constantly move through space, its influence spreads throughout space. In order for any part of that influence to disappear, the entire mass had to disappear.

    Think outside the box
    Yes ... but it is confined to relative space. You know that it is in the box. Yes its influences are outside of the box. The point that the mass cant disappear means that you arent confining it in time.

    In order to confine it in time you need to have it appear and disappear which is not supported by the laws of thermodynamics.

    The only thing that can do this that I know of is virtual particles. Not here one moment, here the next, not here the one following.

  8. #18
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Yes ... but it is confined to relative space. You know that it is in the box. Yes its influences are outside of the box. The point that the mass cant disappear means that you arent confining it in time.

    In order to confine it in time you need to have it appear and disappear which is not supported by the laws of thermodynamics.

    The only thing that can do this that I know of is virtual particles. Not here one moment, here the next, not here the one following.
    Confined to relative space?

    Well, right now, it's confined to relative time...

    There is no difference. Spacetime is not space and time.

  9. #19
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Confined to relative space?

    Well, right now, it's confined to relative time...

    There is no difference. Spacetime is not space and time.

    But the point it is not confined to a time? It is flowing through time. Or maybe you are saying that since i am flowing in time it is confined to the present ?

  10. #20
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    But the point it is not confined to a time? It is flowing through time. Or maybe you are saying that since i am flowing in time it is confined to the present ?
    It's flowing through space too! You can't stop it from doing that by putting it in a box, the box just flows with it--just like you flow through time with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •