Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Superpositions as a time dimension

  1. #1
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Superpositions as a time dimension

    So could superpositions merely be a different dimension? Maybe a dimension of worlds? There would be only one value per world per instance of time.

    I was thinking about this a bit and if these worlds were their own dimension then someone looking at a scenario from the position of these worlds would see time as super-positions of the current reality where the state they are observing actually lives in infinite superpositions ( being the past and future state ). Us observing as a time slice see these worlds as a super positions ... maybe these worlds are similar to our past and future for an observer conscious per those world lines rather than our consciousness traveling through time.

    I guess this is more philosophical than practical. Would there be any way of testing this?


    say you had a linear oscillation from state 1 to state 2 back to state 1 etc ... over a set time. Could I look at my path through time as going from state 1 through state 2 stop at a set point and observe the time dimension as superpositions. The superpositions would be future and past states. This dimension would sort of be perpendicular to our time dimension.

  2. #2
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,005

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    I've seen this idea a lot, but why do you say the dimension would be perpendicular to time? Why not parallel? Just trying to see how yours works.

  3. #3
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    I've seen this idea a lot, but why do you say the dimension would be perpendicular to time? Why not parallel? Just trying to see how yours works.
    It seems perpendicular because time also looks like a superposition You have one value in the past and one in the present, so I figure that you can pivot on an observation. In one dimension you have other superpositions in the other direction you have the superpositions of time. If you were travelling down the "worlds" line ... The past and present would exist as a superposition.


    Do you remember where you read something like this?

    I would be interested in reading about it. I thought I just came up with this way of looking at it.

  4. #4
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    It seems perpendicular because time also looks like a superposition You have one value in the past and one in the present, so I figure that you can pivot on an observation. In one dimension you have other superpositions in the other direction you have the superpositions of time. If you were travelling down the "worlds" line ... The past and present would exist as a superposition.


    Do you remember where you read something like this?

    I would be interested in reading about it. I thought I just came up with this way of looking at it.
    Last night I thought about a scenario that may help explain my position. Lets assume that we can look at all of time as a superposition. So we can ask who is the president of the US and all of the presidents in the past and the future would be included in the superposition and lets say their probability was their tenure / sum of tenures of all ... I could then try to observe who the president was lets say Nixon now by observing Nixon as the president we then see that the Vietnam War is happening. That would be similar to an entanglement. So because we observed nixon, everything else in the superposition is entangled. In this case it would be anything at the superposition we observed.

  5. #5
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,005

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    The "superposition" being 1969?

    I still don't understand why you say this dimension would be perpendicular. From your description, so far, it would seem parallel, no? I mean it is time, but not--just another dimension. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean--what do you mean by "superposition"?

  6. #6
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    I still don't understand why you say this dimension would be perpendicular. From your description, so far, it would seem parallel, no? I mean it is time, but not--just another dimension. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean--what do you mean by "superposition"?
    By superposition I mean something like spin states ... so if you were travelling in the worlds line ... your present may be + 1/2 your future would be -1/2 ...

    From someone traveling on a time line, +1/2 and -1/2 would be superpositions ... both say with .50 amplitude.

    So what I am saying is that instead of looking at it as a probability, look at it as a path through time. Where one state is in the past and one state is in the future ... maybe that dimension loops where if you went far enough it would go + 1/2 , -1/2 , + 1/2 , - 1/2 so your future and your past are defined about where you have been and what state is next. If you were traveling the worlds line you would only experience the now ... which would be either +1/2 or -1/2

    So the reason I see this as perpendicular is because one could pivot ... either following down the worlds like or the time line to observe. If you travel down the time line then the world line then the worlds appear as time and time appears as superpositions. If you travel the time line time appears as time and worlds appear as superpositions.

    Another reason it is perpendicular is because there is an infinite dimension for each superposition, or moment of time. For every moment of time ... you can continue on the worlds dimension forever. And for every superposition ( world ) you can travel in time forever. Therefor it is a 2 dimensional matrix.


    NOTE: I am using "Time Line" meaning if your flow of time is time and Worlds Line meaning your flow of time is Worlds or superpositions.

  7. #7
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    I also feel that if I am right about this ... relativity could come into play and maybe this is the theory that binds quantum with relativity.

    Lets say there are at least 2 time dimensions, one as time and one as superpositions. The moment now ... would be relative. Each point in the universe would have not only its own 3 d space but also its own future and its own set of worlds ...

    Still working on this part ... will post more later. Heading to dentist.

  8. #8
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,005

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Lets say there are at least 2 time dimensions, one as time and one as superpositions.
    Ah, I thought your new dimension was just a different way of looking at the time dimension. Of course, if there are two time dimensions, they would be perpendicular to each other, at least in some orientation. That's just what it means to be a dimension.

    My own personal theory is that there are three time dimensions.

  9. #9
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    My own personal theory is that there are three time dimensions.
    On baut I suggested that once ... but for a different reason. I thought that there would be one direction of time for each spacial dimension.

    Why are you suggesting 3 time dimensions?

  10. #10
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Superpositions as a time dimension

    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1605.01965v1.pdf

    An anomaly in space and time and the origin ofdynamicsJoan A. VaccaroAbstract The Hamiltonian defines the dynamical properties of the universe. Evidencefrom particle physics shows that there is a different version of the Hamiltonianfor each direction of time. As there is no physical basis for the universe to be asymmetricin time, both versions must operate equally. However, conventional physicaltheories accommodate only one version of the Hamiltonian and one direction oftime. This represents an unexplained anomaly in conventional physics and calls fora reworking of the concepts of time and space. Here I explain how the anomaly canbe resolved by allowing dynamics to emerge phenomenologically. The resolutionoffers a picture of time and space that lies below our everyday experience, and onein which their differences are epiphenomenal rather than elemental.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •