Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Quaterions vs. geometry

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    495

    Default Quaterions vs. geometry

    This is a continuation from the thread drift in the mathematics section. integers-semiring-quotient. I think it's important to talk about computer processor speed when selecting the best mathematical tools.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Quaterions vs. geometry

    Quote Originally Posted by mathnerd View Post
    Speaking of that "quaternion vs. vector war", it seems both sides held bizarre points of view. Hamilton thought that quaternions could do everything and if you weren't using quaternions, then there was something wrong with you. On the other hand, Heaviside and Gibbs just figured that you could dissect the quaternion, pull out the cross product and dot product, and kick away the ladder, pretending you never needed the quaternions in the first place. Unfortunately, when you do that, the dot product and cross product become mysterious and unmotivated.
    I think it's better to put the cross product and dot product where they belong, on the unit position vector instead of every nonsensical node. I also think that frees up computer processing speed because it is fewer steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathnerd View Post
    the quaternions are interesting for their own sake as an extension of even if there are more concise alternatives currently available in physics.
    I'm not aware of a completed model.
    Last edited by KickLaBuka; 06-02-2016 at 09:11 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Quaterions vs. geometry

    Quote Originally Posted by KickLaBuka View Post
    This is a continuation from the thread drift in the mathematics section. integers-semiring-quotient. I think it's important to talk about computer processor speed when selecting the best mathematical tools.
    That's only true if you try to apply it in a computer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Quaterions vs. geometry

    Quote Originally Posted by KickLaBuka View Post
    I think it's better to put the cross product and dot product where they belong, on the unit position vector instead of every nonsensical node. I also think that frees up computer processing speed because it is fewer steps.

    I'm not aware of a completed model.
    It should be noted historically that vector algebra came FROM the quaternions.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Quaterions vs. geometry

    Quote Originally Posted by emperorzelos View Post
    It should be noted historically that vector algebra came FROM the quaternions.
    Quaterions have no reasoning in Cartesian vector space. Quaterions introduce four vectors into a geometric one, three of which are imaginary. There is no x,y,z reasoning for the existence of the imaginary Quaterions. They just pop into form. If something turns imaginary, it aught to be because the vector crossed an axis. We aren't seeing that with Quaterions, so I don't comprehend the defense. I admire your passion.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Quaterions vs. geometry

    Quote Originally Posted by emperorzelos View Post
    if you try to apply it in a computer.
    Even the brains computer writing out an equation takes time to accomplish. Quaterions are extra writing, half of which gets thrown out anyway.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,074

    Default Re: Quaterions vs. geometry

    Quote Originally Posted by KickLaBuka View Post
    Even the brains computer writing out an equation takes time to accomplish. Quaterions are extra writing, half of which gets thrown out anyway.
    But, to be clear, what sorts of calculations are we interested in doing? Vector addition and scaling are no more difficult when comparing ordinary 3-vectors and quaternions, so are we talking about cross and dot products?

    In that case, you could just define dot and cross products in terms of quaternion multiplication, couldn't you? That is, if you have quaternions which have a 0 in the scalar part, the dot product is just (AB+BA)/-2, where A and B are the two quaternions. And then the cross product is (AB-BA)/2.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Quaterions vs. geometry

    Quote Originally Posted by mathnerd View Post
    what sorts of calculations are we interested in doing?
    Everything I know about the things; I learned in an hour sitting at a booth drinking mojitos. Could you rather come up with a geometry where you think Quaterions are required and I can set out to show why they are invalid.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,074

    Default Re: Quaterions vs. geometry

    Quote Originally Posted by KickLaBuka View Post
    Everything I know about the things; I learned in an hour sitting at a booth drinking mojitos. Could you rather come up with a geometry where you think Quaterions are required and I can set out to show why they are invalid.
    I'm not sure I can think of an example of where they are absolutely required. I have no particular bone to pick with quaternions, nor do I have any evangelical position to advance like Hamilton did. I'm mainly interested in exploring the algebraic properties.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Quaterions vs. geometry

    Quote Originally Posted by KickLaBuka View Post
    Quaterions have no reasoning in Cartesian vector space. Quaterions introduce four vectors into a geometric one, three of which are imaginary. There is no x,y,z reasoning for the existence of the imaginary Quaterions. They just pop into form. If something turns imaginary, it aught to be because the vector crossed an axis. We aren't seeing that with Quaterions, so I don't comprehend the defense. I admire your passion.
    You might want to look into the history. The reason for quaternions existence was to solve the problems we attribute to vectors today. I have a book on it actually, it's facinating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •