View Poll Results: Change ATM name to Frontiers

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 12.50%
  • No

    2 25.00%
  • Don't care

    2 25.00%
  • Beer

    3 37.50%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,951

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    Coelacanth,

    You forgot to mention type g

    The mods who are ignorant even of the basics but proclaim their level of ignorance and dishonesty as the mainstream.

    Like right now grapes, who is a mod on BAUT, is arguing in the 0.999...=1 poll thread and failing a basic linear equation with one variable and failing to perform order of operations multiplication first, which are both first page first book of algebra. Even though he's failing the basics at BAUT I'd be the one he'd call ATM. And when he and his ignorant cadre makes smarmy comments and I respond in kind I get infracted and banned.

    That is the fatal flaw at BAUT. The rules there are used as described above. The rest can be dealt with.

    I don't even mind arguing with grapes ignorant though he be. But nothing is learned by him or anyone else when hackers like him can game the system like that and repress the valid criticisms of their ignorance.

    The title ATM might misslead even the members here who disagree with the BAUT practices and may have been unfairly treated there that it may happen here.

    No one can be sure it won't happen here unless we stay alert to it and stay vigilant against it.

    The BAUT mods have besmirched honesty, integrity, science and the title ATM and the use of the title ATM on this site besmirches this site.
    Last edited by astrotech; 11-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.

  2. #22
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by astrotech View Post
    Like right now grapes, who is a mod on BAUT, is arguing in the 0.999...=1 poll thread and failing a basic linear equation with one variable and failing to perform order of operations multiplication first, which are both first page first book of algebra.
    The order of operations doesn't force one to actually perform the operation. You can still use the rules of algebra first, like the associative law (which allows you to group like operations in different ways) or the commutative law (which allows you to change the order in which operations are preformed) or the distributive law (which allows you to change the product of two sums into the sum of two products).

    Algebra has no moderators. You can't tell algebra what to do.
    mugaliens likes this.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,951

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    The order of operations doesn't force one to actually perform the operation. You can still use the rules of algebra first, like the associative law (which allows you to group like operations in different ways) or the commutative law (which allows you to change the order in which operations are preformed) or the distributive law (which allows you to change the product of two sums into the sum of two products).

    Algebra has no moderators. You can't tell algebra what to do.
    We can parentheticly force addition before multiplication, which you did not, and so are still going down a road that as far as you have persued is based in ignorance. Which is why I'm waiting for you to do what you said (despite your many errors) without derogotory comment on your failure to use elementary order of operations. I don't know where you're going with that non standard procedure but so far it doesn't look good for your algebra. Haven't checked yet if you subtracted 0.999... from both sides like you said you would in the first place. That was an error even by your own statements. "subtract 0.999... from both sides" and then you don't?
    Last edited by astrotech; 11-10-2011 at 09:50 PM.

  4. #24
    Moderator grapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    Are you trying to make Forum Comments the new ATM?

  5. #25
    Senior Member Coelacanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    602

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    Say, you're giving me an idea there.

    I vote to change all the forum names to include "Against the Mainstream"

  6. #26
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    Actually while I feel SOME of the mods over there are arrogant ... I really haven't seen any MOD that are ignorant, closed minded, arrogant yes but ignorant no. So as much as I agree with most of the comments about ATM, I disagree with this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by astrotech View Post
    Coelacanth,

    You forgot to mention type g

    The mods who are ignorant even of the basics but proclaim their level of ignorance and dishonesty as the mainstream.

    Like right now grapes, who is a mod on BAUT, is arguing in the 0.999...=1 poll thread and failing a basic linear equation with one variable and failing to perform order of operations multiplication first, which are both first page first book of algebra. Even though he's failing the basics at BAUT I'd be the one he'd call ATM. And when he and his ignorant cadre makes smarmy comments and I respond in kind I get infracted and banned.

    That is the fatal flaw at BAUT. The rules there are used as described above. The rest can be dealt with.

    I don't even mind arguing with grapes ignorant though he be. But nothing is learned by him or anyone else when hackers like him can game the system like that and repress the valid criticisms of their ignorance.

    The title ATM might misslead even the members here who disagree with the BAUT practices and may have been unfairly treated there that it may happen here.

    No one can be sure it won't happen here unless we stay alert to it and stay vigilant against it.

    The BAUT mods have besmirched honesty, integrity, science and the title ATM and the use of the title ATM on this site besmirches this site.

  7. #27
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by astrotech View Post
    We can parentheticly force addition before multiplication, which you did not, and so are still going down a road that as far as you have persued is based in ignorance. Which is why I'm waiting for you to do what you said (despite your many errors) without derogotory comment on your failure to use elementary order of operations. I don't know where you're going with that non standard procedure but so far it doesn't look good for your algebra. Haven't checked yet if you subtracted 0.999... from both sides like you said you would in the first place. That was an error even by your own statements. "subtract 0.999... from both sides" and then you don't?
    Lets keep these important on topic posts over on the thread ... even an argument like this is probably useful to others following that thread ...

  8. #28
    tom
    tom is offline
    Administrator tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
    Say, you're giving me an idea there.

    I vote to change all the forum names to include "Against the Mainstream"
    We have a catch all for that : http://www.againstthemainstream.com

  9. #29
    Senior Member TaoZero5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land's End
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Lets keep these important on topic posts over on the thread ... even an argument like this is probably useful to others following that thread ...
    By "thread ..." do you mean 'non-terminating thread'
    Coelacanth likes this.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,951

    Default Re: Not posting in ATM until the name is changed.

    I will point out that the concept of "the mainstream" is, scientificly speaking, a fallacy of the type argumentum ad populum, Argument to popularity.

    If a falsifiable statement goes "against the mainstream" then the only valid argument against the argument is to falsify it.
    "The argument goes against the mainstream therefore it is false" is a fallacious argument. "The statement goes against the mainstream thus the claimant has the burden of proof." This is another false argument because "proof" is an ambiguous word. Falsification of a falsifiable claim is the only scientificly and logicly valid form of dispute. Falsification of a falsifiable claim is not a "shifting the burden of proof" as we return to the fact that proof is an ambiguous term.

    Then we see the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" which only leads back the the ambiguouity of proof.

    If I make the extraordinary claim that an invisible gnome lives in my backyard then that is not only an extraordinary claim but also a non falsifiable claim and is thus a priori not examinable by any scientific logic. But if I claim that my gnome leaves visible footprints in the snow then that is a falsifiable claim and if it can't be shown to be a false claim then it would be incumbent on a disputer to show by falsifiable means that the prints aren't being made by my gnome.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •