Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Member rules

  1. #11
    Moderator Neverfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Utopia Planetia, Mars
    Posts
    1,779

    Default Re: Member rules

    Quote Originally Posted by David M W View Post
    Personally I thought the potato was not obscene or offensive, but others may feel differently.
    For the time being... I think the Report Feature should be relied on instead of the Moderator on shifts judgement for posts that may be obscene or offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by David M W View Post
    So as example in this instance rather than let the thread go off topic a new thread could be started in the "cage match" section this particular thread example to be titled "Neverfly v Tom" perhaps?
    Naww... I say just leave it... it stands as an example that the board doesn't have to be rigid and severe all the time.
    Where's the fun if there's no fun...
    --Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges--
    “Science needs the light of free expression to flourish. It depends on the fearless questioning of authority, and the open exchange of ideas.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

    "When photons interact with electrons, they are interacting with the charge around a "bare" mass, and thus the interaction is electromagnetic, hence light. This light slows the photon down." - BuleriaChk

  2. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    807

    Default Re: Member rules

    I agree, these are the sort of actions you would expect from moderators on some other more strict forums. It will be interesting to see how the members feel about it.

  3. #13
    Moderator Neverfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Utopia Planetia, Mars
    Posts
    1,779

    Default Re: Member rules

    Quote Originally Posted by David M W View Post
    I agree, these are the sort of actions you would expect from moderators on other forums. It will be interesting to see how the members feel about it.
    We the members and all the members as shift moderators.
    Because John Gabriel posted in This thread something more than a bit offensive.
    Since John Gabriel is on a break for the moment, I left the post to Let The Record Stand.
    BuleriaChK had little choice except to handle it on his own. And handle it he did. He pointed out the lack of class.
    The only difference between that time period and hopefully what may come is that post would be moved to Cage Match.
    This gives members freedom of expression as well as freedom of confrontation. If they want to confront eachother, then can. Just take it out back.
    It removes that "Oh come on" feeling you get when a Moderator messes with your post. The content is not removed, the posts stand as a record.
    I think many people would avoid the Cage Match. But some might appreciate having the freedom and the ability to really tell someone off. Really tell 'em what they think.
    IF this forum were to grow in membership, the Cage Match Forum may be 18+. I dunno. It will probably be a long while before that becomes an issue.
    --Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges--
    “Science needs the light of free expression to flourish. It depends on the fearless questioning of authority, and the open exchange of ideas.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

    "When photons interact with electrons, they are interacting with the charge around a "bare" mass, and thus the interaction is electromagnetic, hence light. This light slows the photon down." - BuleriaChk

  4. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    807

    Default Re: Member rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    We the members and all the members as shift moderators.
    Because John Gabriel posted in This thread something more than a bit offensive.
    Since John Gabriel is on a break for the moment, I left the post to Let The Record Stand.
    BuleriaChK had little choice except to handle it on his own. And handle it he did. He pointed out the lack of class.
    The only difference between that time period and hopefully what may come is that post would be moved to Cage Match.
    This gives members freedom of expression as well as freedom of confrontation. If they want to confront eachother, then can. Just take it out back.
    It removes that "Oh come on" feeling you get when a Moderator messes with your post. The content is not removed, the posts stand as a record.
    I think many people would avoid the Cage Match. But some might appreciate having the freedom and the ability to really tell someone off. Really tell 'em what they think.
    IF this forum were to grow in membership, the Cage Match Forum may be 18+. I dunno. It will probably be a long while before that becomes an issue.
    Very annoying (my bold)!
    I believe the cage match no holds barred is a good idea, maybe difficult to police it as 18+, but something to think about in the future if it arises.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Member rules

    Quote Originally Posted by David M W View Post
    Very annoying (my bold)!
    I believe the cage match no holds barred is a good idea, maybe difficult to police it as 18+, but something to think about in the future if it arises.
    Is banning the most serious result?

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Member rules

    Quote Originally Posted by David M W View Post
    I agree, these are the sort of actions you would expect from moderators on some other more strict forums. It will be interesting to see how the members feel about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickLaBuka View Post
    Better to leave comments and add a link to their future location. It's the main problem with thread drift, and can't really be avoided. I myself have been relegated to other locations in other websites, cause I sometimes butt heads with the topic thread name or even drift into topics far outside the preview of the tab. Better to end discussion with a future link and then call on the contributors to follow that link, where their offensive quotes are quoted and welcome.
    I would add that identifying spam is pretty subjective, as the same question may be avoided the first 10 times it is proposed. We aren't always comfortable answering every question, and they get left in limbo if the poster doesn't keep addressing it and forcing the conversation. That's what I think of when I hear spam, anyway.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Member rules

    Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    Forward: Long ago I determined that "less is best." I believe both over-moderation and excessive rules can destroy a forum just as rapidly as they can destroy a country. Certainly under-moderation and a lack of basic rules aren't good, either, so I try for a balance.

    Goal: To facilitate a highly functional online community.
    5. Copyrights and Trademarks: If the work belongs to someone else, post a link to the resource. Small snippets of the work may be quoted here for subsequent discussion, provided you reference the original material as it's posted elsewhere. If you do obtain permission to copy the material, please include a copy of their author/owner's permission with your post.
    )
    Speaking of spam, sometimes the best ideas are spread out over vast pages of reading. I catalog some of my posts and the mainstream ideas surrounding them, and like to post those catalogs anonymously off site. Is that OK, being a public place; or should I leave content here. I leave comments anonymous in case people don't want their posts compressed into sound bites off site; google searches for another reason. Should I use screen names?

  8. #18
    Moderator Neverfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Utopia Planetia, Mars
    Posts
    1,779

    Default Re: Member rules

    Quote Originally Posted by KickLaBuka View Post
    Speaking of spam, sometimes the best ideas are spread out over vast pages of reading. I catalog some of my posts and the mainstream ideas surrounding them, and like to post those catalogs anonymously off site. Is that OK, being a public place; or should I leave content here. I leave comments anonymous in case people don't want their posts compressed into sound bites off site; google searches for another reason. Should I use screen names?
    Speaking only for myself...
    I see nothing wrong with you linking to the forum off-site or in showing screen names. The forum is a publicly viewable domain that is trawled by many different indexing spiders and bots that also link to it. There is no privacy to it nor should it be expected. It is a publicly accessible forum, not a private blog.

    Now...if you were to copy one of my posts and then claim it as your own, that would bother me. But then, who would want to look as much a fool as I, anyway?
    --Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges--
    “Science needs the light of free expression to flourish. It depends on the fearless questioning of authority, and the open exchange of ideas.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

    "When photons interact with electrons, they are interacting with the charge around a "bare" mass, and thus the interaction is electromagnetic, hence light. This light slows the photon down." - BuleriaChk

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Member rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Speaking only for myself...
    I see nothing wrong with you linking to the forum off-site or in showing screen names. The forum is a publicly viewable domain that is trawled by many different indexing spiders and bots that also link to it. There is no privacy to it nor should it be expected. It is a publicly accessible forum, not a private blog.
    I like anonymous posters for conventional wisdom, to keep my place uniform, but I like the idea of linking to the forum in order to draw crowds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Now...if you were to copy one of my posts and then claim it as your own, that would bother me.
    That's tough since science doesn't change much from day to day. It's hard to realize where the insights come from, the conventional wisdom or personal bent upon learning the standard. I invite you to peruse my posting history and make your own judgments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    But then, who would want to look as much a fool as I, anyway?
    You have an admirable way with the English language and a deep foundational knowledge of science. It's not a matter of luck that you found a leadership role.

  10. #20
    Moderator Neverfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Utopia Planetia, Mars
    Posts
    1,779

    Default Re: Member rules

    Quote Originally Posted by KickLaBuka View Post
    I invite you to peruse my posting history and make your own judgments.
    Reading your posts; I am, at times, unsure if English is your first language or if Earth is your first planet.
    --Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges--
    “Science needs the light of free expression to flourish. It depends on the fearless questioning of authority, and the open exchange of ideas.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

    "When photons interact with electrons, they are interacting with the charge around a "bare" mass, and thus the interaction is electromagnetic, hence light. This light slows the photon down." - BuleriaChk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •