Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Thread and Message Options

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Thread and Message Options

    I think there should be an option to ignore threads started by individual users. For example, I am interested in NOTHING MMaciej has to say (or will, to judge from my perceptions of his knowledge of physics), and putting him on my ignore list should hide threads he started, not just individual messages within the threads.

    Better still, give us both options. For example, for myself I would like:
    1. to hide threads started by a particular user (e,g. MMaciej). (i.e., they should not appear on the list for me; i.e., he doesn't exist for me)
    2. to hide individual replies within existing threads from a particular user (e.g. MMaciej).
    3. provide an option of whether notification ignored users are to appear in an individual thread.

    That way my view and participation on the list would be "clean" of (e.g.) MMaciej's posts when I sign in.... and others could be clean of threads of mine they find irrelevant, irritating, etc. (there are different reasons an individual user would want to ignore others).

    And those of us who like to talk about the same thing would be free to do so, and no one would have to be banned from the list. And the list would be much more enjoyable for each participant (including those who don't want to read my posts.. or be reminded that I exist....

    (For example, I am still trying to understand the Physics of the 1920's in my own way, which others may already know, or not be interested in, and also those that like my approach to physics a lot better if they don't know it very well, etc., etc, ....)

    (I wish BAUT weren't such assholes, though....)

    A (snarky) critic is someone who goes down after the battle and shoots the wounded...
    Last edited by BuleriaChk; 11-05-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    _______________________________________
    "Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
    The Relativistic Unit Circle 03/27/2017 04:58 AM PST
    Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem Updates 03/19/2017 8:23 PM PST
    Ignore List -The Peanut Gallery.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: Thread and Message Options

    Quote Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
    I think there should be an option to ignore threads started by individual users. For example, I am interested in NOTHING MMaciej has to say (or will, to judge from my perceptions of his knowledge of physics), and putting him on my ignore list should hide threads he started, not just individual messages within the threads.
    The easiest way to implement that is to just not click on the link to the particular post. In the email you can set up a filter (easy in Linux Evolution) to redirect the email of the post to "spam", "trash", or the like.

    Quote Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
    Better still, give us both options. For example, for myself I would like:
    1. to hide threads started by a particular user (e,g. MMaciej). (i.e., they should not appear on the list for me; i.e., he doesn't exist for me)
    2. to hide individual replies within existing threads from a particular user (e.g. MMaciej).
    3. provide an option of whether notification ignored users are to appear in an individual thread.

    That way my view and participation on the list would be "clean" of (e.g.) MMaciej's posts when I sign in.... and others could be clean of threads of mine they find irrelevant, irritating, etc. (there are different reasons an individual user would want to ignore others).

    And those of us who like to talk about the same thing would be free to do so, and no one would have to be banned from the list. And the list would be much more enjoyable for each participant (including those who don't want to read my posts.. or be reminded that I exist....

    (For example, I am still trying to understand the Physics of the 1920's in my own way, which others may already know, or not be interested in, and also those that like my approach to physics a lot better if they don't know it very well, etc., etc, ....)
    The best way to understand physics is not to let your own ideas get in the way of experimental facts. Remember that experimental facts always rule in physics.

    The only reason current accepted theories in physics are considered valid, is because there has been no valid experiment to contradict them. However, physicists are always cognizant of the fact that there may be an experiment that makes current theory only approximately valid. A case in point is the relationship between 19th century electromagnetic theory and Special Relativity. There are also some theories that have to be completely trashed. An example of this is George Darwin's theory of the origin of the moon (being spun out of the Pacific Ocean), which was invalidated by the rocks brought back by the Apollo missions.

    Quote Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
    (I wish BAUT weren't such assholes, though....)
    Mmmmm, I still don't know who this "BAUT" is.
    --
    // 73s; LLAP
    // KG4PAE

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Re: Thread and Message Options

    Quote Originally Posted by kg4pae View Post
    The easiest way to implement that is to just not click on the link to the particular post. In the email you can set up a filter (easy in Linux Evolution) to redirect the email of the post to "spam", "trash", or the like.



    The best way to understand physics is not to let your own ideas get in the way of experimental facts. Remember that experimental facts always rule in physics.

    The only reason current accepted theories in physics are considered valid, is because there has been no valid experiment to contradict them. However, physicists are always cognizant of the fact that there may be an experiment that makes current theory only approximately valid. A case in point is the relationship between 19th century electromagnetic theory and Special Relativity. There are also some theories that have to be completely trashed. An example of this is George Darwin's theory of the origin of the moon (being spun out of the Pacific Ocean), which was invalidated by the rocks brought back by the Apollo missions.



    Mmmmm, I still don't know who this "BAUT" is.
    I think it is the interpretation of the results of experiments that allow one to define new ones (Pauli - "If you're not very careful in physics, you'll discover exactly what you were looking for). There are any number of issues that go beyond the dictum "the speed of light is constant" in a vacuum, whatever a vacuum is (assuming a vacuum only permits E and B fields, and not D and H fields).

    I'm responding to this message because for some reason the ignore list doesn't seem to apply to this thread, at least at present. Nevertheless, now that I know how to write tex I will take you off my list if you want to discuss physics without being snarky (so I don't have to be snarky back.) I am fairly conversant with the basics of mathematical physics, by the way.... My current interest is getting a clear picture of the physical interpretation of the Pauli and Dirac matrices (the former in terms of classical physics, and the application of relativity to produce the latter.

    But if you don't want to discuss physics, please continue to ignore me on the forum, as I will you, and we'll both be much happier....
    _______________________________________
    "Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
    The Relativistic Unit Circle 03/27/2017 04:58 AM PST
    Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem Updates 03/19/2017 8:23 PM PST
    Ignore List -The Peanut Gallery.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Re: Thread and Message Options

    kg4pae definitely wants to remain on my ignore list........
    _______________________________________
    "Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
    The Relativistic Unit Circle 03/27/2017 04:58 AM PST
    Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem Updates 03/19/2017 8:23 PM PST
    Ignore List -The Peanut Gallery.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: Thread and Message Options

    Among the options, I can't find deep tissue with happy ending...is this just a windows 7 thing?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Re: Thread and Message Options

    There are also those who I ignore for other reasons, usually because they are snarky and/or their arguments are irrelevant to my posts (arguing by faith in the textbooks they quote without understanding the content they think they understand, and often do not, so accuse others of not understanding what their faith in their ignorance thinks is right - kg4pae, I mean you; you are unqualified as a reviewer to review my posts academically). I think it a matter of common courtesy that those on my ignore list refrain from commenting in my threads, as I will in theirs.

    I think a thread rule should be that if people on your ignore list continue to quote in your threads, then they should be banned from the forum after a couple of infractions. (The thread starter can alert Tom or the moderator if the rule is being violated, who can then take appropriate action.

    A (snarky) critic is someone who comes down after the battle and shoots the wounded...
    Last edited by BuleriaChk; 11-05-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    _______________________________________
    "Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
    The Relativistic Unit Circle 03/27/2017 04:58 AM PST
    Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem Updates 03/19/2017 8:23 PM PST
    Ignore List -The Peanut Gallery.

  7. #7
    Senior Member mugaliens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Thread and Message Options

    Quote Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
    I think a thread rule should be that if people on your ignore list continue to quote in your threads, then they should be banned from the forum after a couple of infractions. (The thread starter can alert Tom or the moderator if the rule is being violated, who can then take appropriate action.
    If you put someone on your ignore list, you have the option to peek at what they're posting, but they will continue to see what you're posting and can comment on it.

    The ignore function is for your benefit, not theirs. Nor is it to control the behavior of others. It's not to hide your content from them, but to hide their content from you.

    That's just message forum basics 101. The only way you can keep others from seeing and commenting what you post is to not post it in the first place.
    My oath of office never expires. "God, who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson. "I have far too long suffered fools. No longer will I tolerate the insufferable. Enjoy the vacuum." - Mugs

    PS: I scrambled my password, so no, I will not be responding. Get a clue.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Re: Thread and Message Options

    kg4pae thinks he knows what current physics says and therefore is capable of quoting from authority; the fact is, he has a very limited understanding of current perspectives at the fundamental level, and doesn't understand anywhere NEAR enough of the basics to speak for "all physics". He only knows how to quote equations without understanding their physical meaning and conceptual foundations ...

    In particular, he certainly doesn't understand electromagnetism or quantum mechanics, much less the EM Field tensor and the implications thereof. Much less, the Lorentz transform and its relation to STR.

    Nor does he understand the mathematics enough to do more than snark at those who do - he knows tex, so he can copy them into threads, but is incapabable of discussing the consequences of their assumptions.

    And not only that, he is an asshole about his ignorance.
    Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-01-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    _______________________________________
    "Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
    The Relativistic Unit Circle 03/27/2017 04:58 AM PST
    Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem Updates 03/19/2017 8:23 PM PST
    Ignore List -The Peanut Gallery.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    2,764

    Default Re: Thread and Message Options

    Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    If you put someone on your ignore list, you have the option to peek at what they're posting, but they will continue to see what you're posting and can comment on it.

    The ignore function is for your benefit, not theirs. Nor is it to control the behavior of others. It's not to hide your content from them, but to hide their content from you.
    That's just message forum basics 101. The only way you can keep others from seeing and commenting what you post is to not post it in the first place.

    I know what the current forum rules are. I just firmly believe that those that post their own threads should be able to reject spammers or comments that are not relevant to the questions they are raising according to their own criteria. If one starts a thread, he should have control over who posts in it (not those who read it). That way he can make sure that his message remains clear and in context. (Or not, but that is his responsibility, not others - this is not a "peer review" since no one has control over who his "peers" might be - e.g. mmaciej.... (I didn't want him from everywhere, just from threads I started. And to give others the right for that control as well, especially since Tom didn't address the issue until he got trolled/spammed...

    That way, a thread started (not the forum administrator) can make a determination as to whether a discussion has gone off track. Those who have gone off track are perfectly free to start their own threads and continue the discussion there.
    Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-01-2015 at 12:46 PM.
    _______________________________________
    "Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
    The Relativistic Unit Circle 03/27/2017 04:58 AM PST
    Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem Updates 03/19/2017 8:23 PM PST
    Ignore List -The Peanut Gallery.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mugaliens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Thread and Message Options

    Quote Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
    I know what the current forum rules are. I just firmly believe that those that post their own threads should be able to reject spammers or comments that are not relevant to the questions they are raising according to their own criteria.
    It's not an issue of forum rules. It's a matter of how vBulletin works. By default, users cannot delete their own posts, but it's a piece of cake to change that. On the other hand, the only way someone can delete another's posts is to make them a moderator, and unfortunately, the only way to limit that authority to posts you've created yourself is to create as many groups as there are users, assigned each user-moderator to their own group. That laborious task could be done, but setting it up for more than a handful of users takes a lot of time.

    Besides, you wind up changing the structure of your forum, with as many sub-domains as you have active users. Very unsightly.

    If one starts a thread, he should have control over who posts in it (not those who read it). That way he can make sure that his message remains clear and in context. (Or not, but that is his responsibility, not others - this is not a "peer review" since no one has control over who his "peers" might be - e.g. mmaciej.... (I didn't want him from everywhere, just from threads I started. And to give others the right for that control as well, especially since Tom didn't address the issue until he got trolled/spammed...
    That would be nice. Unfortunately, that's not the way vBulletin works. Neither does phpBB, for that matter. I've worked on a few other forum software packages, and they don't work that way, either.

    You're correct in noting mmaciej's posts were the responsibility of a moderator to handle. He should have been dealt with from the outset, rather than waiting for everything to pile up.

    On my own two forums, I use a system I've developed over many years. It's entirely automated through vBulletin's infraction system, and based on simple, clear, and unambiguous rules, which takes a huge load off the mods and admins, so they don't have to keep track of who's done what. If they spot a rules violation, they award an infraction. Users can report violations, which are then examined by the mod pool.

    I based it off prime numbers. Different actions carry different point load expiration dates. If you reach a certain number of points, you're banned for a certain number of days, weeks, or months. Two normal rules violations will buy you a three-day vacation, but it's actually pretty darn hard to buy a permanent ban. You'd have to commit three severe rules violations, four serious, or seven normals to get booted, all within a fairly short period of time. The suspension times are short, but the infraction durations are much longer. Just because someone has been allowed back on the forum doesn't mean they're off the hook. Even a minor violation for a user on probation can kick them to back to the curb.

    Again, all this is automated, so it's ridiculously simple for the mods to handle: If they spot a violation, award the infraction and let the system do the rest.

    Here's a screen shot of the User Infraction Manager in the Admin Control Panel:

    User Infraction Manager.jpg

    The result is sublime: The mods are free to infract as per the rules. Normal users remain relatively infraction-free, and are almost never forced to take any time off. Rabble-rousers, on the other hand, are rarely seen, and then, only for a short while.

    What this forum needs is a simple set of rules (present) and a good mod willing to stick to his or her guns and enforce the rules as they're written. Automating the system as I've done on other forums would make it a no-brainer. if a forum "favorite" falls by the wayside due to his or her bad behavior, too bad. Violating the rules ruins the forum for everyone. That's why rules exist in the first place, not only in message forums, but in every polite society.
    My oath of office never expires. "God, who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson. "I have far too long suffered fools. No longer will I tolerate the insufferable. Enjoy the vacuum." - Mugs

    PS: I scrambled my password, so no, I will not be responding. Get a clue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •